Grand Rapids, Mich. – Meijer announced today that Detroit native Marcus Reliford will lead Rivertown Market, its latest neighborhood grocery store that will open later this year in Detroit’s East Jefferson Corridor.
“I grew up on the west side of Detroit as a kid, and came back recently to help give back and contribute to my community and city,” said Reliford, who lives three blocks from the retailer’s fourth small format store. “This is our first store in downtown Detroit. There’s no one who wanted this job more than me. It feels good to be home.”
Reliford joined Meijer in September 2020 with 15 years of retail experience under his belt, working his way up from various hourly roles to store manager at retailers in Georgia and Michigan. Reliford will lead Rivertown Market for Meijer, which will focus on offering customers a unique grocery shopping experience similar to the retailer’s three other small format stores: Bridge Street Market in Grand Rapids, Woodward Corner Market in Royal Oak, and Capital City Market in Lansing.
At 42,000 square feet, Rivertown Market will feature a vast assortment of fresh food; artisan groceries; and Meijer and national brand products at low prices. Reliford previously set a goal of 2,000 local products to feature on the market’s shelves and is pleased to have received more than1,000 item submissions so far for consideration.
Rivertown Market will also feature:
- A variety of local, artisan products, including Pietrzyk Pierogi, Ma Cohens and Cyntsational Popcorn.
- Flower shop, featuring local Avanti Greeting Cards
- Expansive 4,700-square-foot produce department complete with a 52-foot wet wall
- Fresh and prepared foods, including bakery items, fresh meat and deli offerings
- An expansive alcohol assortment, featuring a 24-foot wide by 14-foot tall liquor wall with rolling ladder
- The award-winning Mudgie’s Deli, which is its second Detroit location
- A Great Lakes Coffee coffee shop that specializes in nitro brews and low/medium roasts
- Basic cleaning items and health and beauty care products from local, black women-owned businesses
- 23-foot ceilings with open air elements and a pedestrian-friendly design, featuring three garage-style doors with outdoor fresh produce and floral area
About Rivertown Market
Rivertown Market is a new neighborhood grocery store operated by Meijer that focuses on bringing fresh food and value to customers in a market-like setting. As a standalone market in the East Jefferson Corridor in the City of Detroit, Rivertown Market will provide residents and businesses alike access to fresh food and easily accessible convenience items in a one-of-a-kind store.