December 20, 2017
Contact: Jennifer Rook, 616-791-274, Jennifer.Rook@meijer.com
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – When it comes to the category of “last-minute” gifts, gathering items for stocking stuffers tops the list. According to gadget review site, HowStuffWorks.com, bath and beauty basics is the number one category for traditional stocking stuffers.
Meijer beauty buyers report that, traditionally, the retailer sells more than $250 million worth of beauty and personal care products during the holidays. Not surprisingly, makeup leads the list. According to NPD, sales in the makeup category have continued to grow over the past two years, followed by skin care and fragrance. Meijer beauty buyers assembled a list of the most popular stocking stuffers that are practical, yet enticing enough to gift and even add to your own stocking!
- Mascara gift sets. According to Elite Daily, mascara is the one beauty product every lady should have. Recent beauty trends point to the desire to create “mink-like” lashes that are fluffy and full, and “Twiggy”-inspired eyelashes are also making a comeback. There are a number of products that create these looks. The gift of mascara never gets old because mascara actually does have an expiration date and should be replaced every three to five months. Top Picks: L’Oréal Lash Paradise + L’Oréal Voluminous Mascara Primer or CoverGirl Peacock Mascara.
- Makeup brushes and sponges. This is a great gift to give someone who loves the finer points of makeup artistry – and lives on a budget. A good set of makeup brushes and sponges never goes to waste. According to allyou.com, makeup brushes and sponges should be replaced every one to five years. Top Picks: Real Techniques by Sam & Nic Flawless Base Set; Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge 2 pk; or ELF Blending Sponge.
- Eyeshadow pallets. Let’s be honest, half the fun of wearing makeup is playing with different looks. Eyeshadow pallets are a classic way to try new techniques with different shades. If you or your loved one are looking to heighten or add depth to your look, eyeshadow pallets are perfect. This year, it’s all about nude pallets that enable you to play up a natural look. Top Picks: Maybelline 24k Nude Pallet Eye Shadow; Maybelline Blushed Nudes Eye Pallet; or Elf Shadow Gift Sets.
- Nail polish. Doing one’s nails is still a little luxury that many women still take the time to do. According to Meijer beauty buyers, nail polish is a very popular gift. The retailer moves more than 500,000 bottles during the holiday season with gel polishes and metallic shades leading the pack. Most open nail polishes only last for two years, so getting nail polish as a gift is always appreciated. Top Picks: Sally Hansen Miracle Gel collection; Essie TLC; or Essie Gel Couture.
- Skin care products. Not to be outdone by makeup, skin care gifts are a close second-best stocking stuffer. Some of the products on the must-have list this year include charcoal masks, anti-aging creams, and makeup remover towelettes. According to Reader’s Digest Best Health, activated charcoal is a popular ingredient used in cleanses and face masks to detoxify and re-energize. Great advancements made to reduce fine lines and wrinkles continue to make anti-aging creams a popular gift. Makeup remover towelettes make it easy to remove makeup because a beauty no-no is not removing makeup before bedtime. And in the Midwest, you can never have enough lip balm in the winter. Top Picks: YES TO Tomatoes Detoxifying Charcoal Facial Mask; Olay Regenerist Microsculpting Cream; Neutrogena Make Up Remover Towelettes or Burt’s Bees 12 pack Lip Balm.
- Hair bands and bobby pins. Some people believe you can never have enough shoes. The same can be said for hair bands and bobby pins. Top Picks: Goody Bobby pins or Goody Ouchless Little Black Dress Elastics.
If you are looking for more last-minute gift suggestions, click here to access other gift list ideas.
About Meijer: Meijer is a Grand Rapids, Mich.-based retailer that operates 235 supercenters and grocery stores throughout Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky and Wisconsin. A privately-owned and family-operated company since 1934, Meijer pioneered the “one-stop shopping” concept and has evolved through the years to include expanded fresh produce and meat departments, as well as pharmacies, comprehensive apparel departments, pet departments, garden centers, toys and electronics. For additional information on Meijer, please visit www.meijer.com. Follow Meijer on Twitter @twitter.com/Meijer and @twitter.com/MeijerPR or become a fan at www.facebook.com/meijer.
Tags: Corporate News